Monday, January 11, 2016

Preach Nothing But Repentance

Hey friends,

Selfie - Utah and Canada


Some how I always make a fool out of myself at meetings. We were at a Zone Meeting (it was also my first meeting in my new zone after being transferred) and the other missionaries had little lessons prepared and we were listening to them. All of a sudden, Sister Roberts points to something right above my head and whispers, "Uh Sister.." I look up and there was a spider dangling from the celling! It was right above my head, and I started to laugh quietly and I scooted my chair back so it wouldn't land on my head. Sister Roberts pushed her chair back too, and we were trying so hard not to disrupt the meeting but it was so funny! I was going to wait until it was over, but one of our Sister Training Leaders came over, picked it up and threw it away. What is it about me and spiders?

Sister Roberts and I with Kate
This week we spent a lot of time with a less active family in the ward. They love the missionaries and they treat us like family. We love stopping by as our last appointment of the night to read a chapter from the Book of Mormon with them and to say a Family Prayer. They have a bit of a hard family situation. Especially when the kids were all younger. Brandi is the mom and she is an extreme couponer. She has literally shelves and shelves of food and other things because her hobby is to coupon and buy things on sale. They have anything and everything. She is hilarious! They have 3 kids at home; Kate, Garrett and Ben. Kate is 15 years old and she is pregnant. It has been really hard on Brandi, and they don't come to church, because they feel like they can't. We have been trying to do all that we can to help this family. They are going through a lot. I just know how grateful I am to have these commandments that God has given us, because it can prevent the grief and heartache I have seen in this family. 

Harriet and the Little Girl
We have been visiting this little old lady named Harriet. She is hilarious! She taught second grade for 40 years and so she has little nicknames for Sister Roberts and I. She calls Sister Roberts the "Star" and then she calls me the "Little Girl." Harriet hugs me and before I leave she holds my hand and says, "You're so cute you little girl, you are so cute!" She sure is something. The missionaries have worked with her for over 4 years and we are trying to get her to come to church. She has been once before, but she hasn't been back since. She says she doesn't like the music. When we asked her why she didn't like the music she said, "Where's the Mormon Tabernacle Choir when you need them!?" Harriet also doesn't like the first chapter of the Book of Mormon. She doesn't mind the rest, but she says the first chapter drags on and on! So if you can imagine her... She is a riot. We are hoping she will soften her heart :) 

Something that President Salisbury has been talking about lately is Preaching Repentance. He promises us that "If we preach nothing but repentance, then we will baptize converts." All that we do as missionaries is to invite people to repent. It is NOT a bad thing. We ALL make mistakes, and it is a blessing that we are able to repent and be cleansed from our sins again. I am so grateful for this time I have to be a missionary and to help others change and to become better. 

#Ponderize Doctrine and Covenants 6:9 "Say nothing but repentance unto this generation; keep my commandments, and assist to bring forth my work, according to my commandments, and you shall be blessed."

Love you all

~Sister Kayla Marie Willis

Don't send too many letters :)
Sister Kayla Willis
Route 3 Box 518 B
Elkins, WV 26241

No comments:

Post a Comment