Wednesday, January 27, 2016

WINTER STORM JONAS

It Snowed So Much
Crazy week!!

Just so everyone knows, I realize that I really jinxed myself with last weeks email. I was talking about how I have never seen the snow everyone goes on about here and then a few days later we get 35 inches.......... Yep just under 3 feet. WINTER STORM JONAS. Like a real natural disaster! We actually got snowed in our house. You see, we live up in a hollar. [Hollar: a little road surrounded by trees, without speed limits, that lead to large backwoods area in the state of West Virginia.] So they are a little scary! We drive a truck so we can make it up our hill, but there was no way we were going to get out of that! We had to stay in on Friday and Saturday because it was so bad! We were SO bored! It was very long. We actually decided to just put on sweats under our skirts and put on our snow boots and truck it out in the snow! We walked about a mile down to a less-actives members house. It took us a half hour to walk there and a half hour to walk back because it was so deep! It was fun though. 







Trying to Walk Down our Hollar through the Storm

On Sunday church was cancelled because of all the snow! A lot of the day was spent digging ourselves out of it. The weather was a little nicer and so we went out to visit people near our house. It was so slippery, I slipped a total of 8 times in one day! Oh my, 8 times! Sister Roberts and I could not stop laughing. Every time I got out of the car to back her up I slipped. I even slipped a few times right after getting up from slipping. I thought you all might find humor in my clumsiness. :D
The Snow Was up to My Knees


We had a wonderful opportunity to watch a Worldwide Missionary Broadcast, put out by the head missionary department of the church. It was so cool!! I learned a lot, and I especially loved this training segment that we got to watch with Elder Bednar. He talked about the Spirit and how He is the teacher. Not us. We need to be worthy of having the Spirit to be with us and to help bring the Spirit so He can teach our friends. It was such a cool broadcast, and we all sang "Called To Serve" at the same time! What a cool thing to think about, almost all the missionaries around the world, singing that powerful song at the same time! I love being a Missionary!!

It Was Like This for Three Days

We have been working with a friend named Sarah since around New Years now and we are making huge progress with her! She is 15 and has had a pretty rough life. She has been smoking since she was 12 and she was pregnant last year. But she had the baby early and he passed away. We have taught her all the lessons and she is so willing to change and keep the commitments we give her.  This week we taught her the Law of Chastity lesson and we were thinking she would take it pretty hard, but she accepted it with enthusiasm! She was so willing and ready to accept. We even gave her a, "For the Strength of Youth", pamphlet to help her understand more of the standards our church has. She excitedly read our standards for dancing and music. Last night we had the opportunity to teach Sarah the Stop Smoking Workshop in a members home. It went so well! She wants to stop smoking so that she can continue to be prepared for baptism. She is working towards February 20 and she is so excited!





Walking Down Our Hill was Fun

I want to let each of you know that I know this gospel is true and that this is the Lord's work! He is in charge! This truly is the Church of Jesus Christ. He restored His Gospel to the earth, through the prophet, Joseph Smith. The Book of Mormon is the word of God. I love this gospel and I am so grateful for the time I have to be a missionary, even though it is a very short time. I love the Lord, and I love this work. 
The Roads in Our Hollar








#Ponderize 3 Nephi 7:21 "And it came to pass that the thirty and first year did pass away, and there were but few who were converted unto the Lord; but as many as were converted did truly signify unto the people that they had been visited by the power and Spirit of God, which was in Jesus Christ, in whom they believed."

Don't forget to say your prayers and read your scriptures :)

Love you all,

~Sister Kayla Marie Willis

No comments:

Post a Comment